By Eleni Georges of @myfamilysfooddiary
For something a little fancy, you can't go past this incredible Lamington Crepe Cake. We mean have you ever seen anything more beautiful? So for a twist on an Aussie fave this summer, serve up this dessert to wow the masses.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 4 ½ cups milk of your choice
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tsp caster sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, melted, extra for frying
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Strawberry chia sauce
- 400g strawberries, washed, leaves removed and quartered
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 125g desiccated coconut
- 300g Nutella
- 2-3 lamingtons (optional)
- Punnet of strawberries (optional)
- Use a blender and process all the ingredients together. Allow the batter to rest covered at room temperature for 15 minutes. During this time make the strawberry chia sauce.
- Heat a 24cm frying pan to a high heat. Once it is hot, reduce it to a medium heat and brush some melted butter all around.
- Pour 1⁄4 cup of the batter, swirl it around so a round shape is created and the batter is evenly distributed. After a couple of minutes, the edges will begin to dry and the bottom will brown. It is time to then turn the crepe over to cook on the other side. Once it gets some colour you may remove the crepe on a plate and repeat the process until all the batter is used.
Strawberry chia sauce
- In a small saucepan add all the ingredients besides the chia seeds. Allow the strawberries to cook and soften for 5 minutes. Use a hand blender to process the strawberries to a smoother consistency. Add the chia seeds and stir the mixture for 3 minutes. Set the pot aside and allow it to cool completely to thicken.
- Spread a thin Nutella layer on a crepe and sprinkle some desiccated coconut. Spread some strawberry sauce and desiccated coconut on a second crepe and place it on top of the first one. Continue the same pattern alternating between the two spreads until all the ingredients are finished. Top with lamington pieces and strawberries. Serve the crepe cake soon after. I prefer eating it as is rather than after it is chilled in the refrigerator.
Eleni is a passionate homecook living in Australia, with a blog dedicated to traditional Cypriot and Greek recipes as well as other family food inspirations. She started the blog in 2018 as a way to preserve her recipes for her two daughters as they grow up and has since become a valuable resource for other people around the world.