Who agrees that peanut butter is just the gift that keeps on giving? It’s delicious, incredibly nutritious, and so easy to get your hands on.
All-natural peanut butter is packed with protein as well as LOTS of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, potassium and zinc. It also has a sneaky way of making any meal taste AMAZING. What’s an açai bowl without the peanut butter?!
We are clearly pretty obsessed with peanut butter at RY HQ... but since we've been spending a little extra time at home and in the kitchen lately, trying to create some extra yummy treats to keep us happy and healthy, we thought we’d share some of the creative ways our team likes to use peanut butter!
1. Frozen chocolate peanut butter treats...
Say whhaaaa…?! You heard it right - simply whip your peanut butter, roll into little balls, drizzle with a quality dark chocolate, and freeze. A treat that is healthy, easy & super convenient. And super delicious! Trust us - these are the BEST 3pm treat…
2. To make the popcorn bars in our RY wellness mag…
On the topic of 3pm treats - these are also AMAZING.
These Peanut Butter Popcorn Bars by Jacqueline Alwill (www.thebrownpaperbag.com.au) were featured in our 2019 Autumn RY Wellness Mag. We’ve seen so many photos of these being recreated that we thought it would be a crime to not share it again!!
Peanut Butter Popcorn Bars
- 4 cups cooked popcorn (approx. 2 tablespoons kernels)
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter (we love Pic's but any will do!)
- 1/4 cup honey OR 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- Place peanut butter and honey/rice malt in a small saucepan on low heat, whisk together with a fork or until it is slightly runny. Be careful not to leave it on the heat for too long to avoid it becoming a crumbly consistency.
- When ready,plac epopcorn in a large bowl. Pour over the peanut butter and honey/rice malt mix, then mix together using clean hands.
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper and press the mixture into the tin.
- Cover and place in freezer to set for 2 hours.
- Once set, slice and serve. Kept out of the fridge or freezer, they'll hold together for about 3 hours.
3. To make a power packed smoothie...
If you think you’ve nailed your fave morning smoothie but you aren’t using peanut butter, we URGE you to think again. Adding a small spoonful means an extra nutrition hit, plus it tastes AMAZING!
A basic blend is:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 date
- 1 tbs peanut butter
- 1 tbs cacao
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp chia seeds
4. Satay stir-fry...
This is where things get really versatile. We often think breakfast, but think again.
Everyone loves satay sauce, and you can make a very simple, healthy version at home using your favourite peanut butter.
Simply grab half a cup of peanut butter, add half a cup of coconut milk and a few tbsp water, and you have a satay sauce base. Up the flavour by adding a couple of cloves of garlic, a tbsp tamari and a couple of teaspoons of sriracha for some spice. Marinate your chosen protein or add to a stir-fry.
5. Peanut butter dip...
We were going to leave #5 as 'straight outta the jar', celery stick or on its own. But this one is such a goodie that we couldn’t leave it out.
Mix peanut butter with greek or coconut yoghurt to desired consistency, and add some honey to sweeten if desired, and serve up with your arvo carrots & capsicum sticks. The hummus can wait until next week ;)
Happy cooking! If you try out the above recipes OR even invent your own delicious pb-inspired treat, don't forget to share it with us by tagging @retreatyourself_box!