**Written by Freshwater Farm Australia**
Winter’s end is nearing! Longer days and warmer nights are coming, but your skin may be left a little on the dryer side after the cooler weather. This generally happens as, during winter, skin is not so great at holding water. It may also be a result of less attention paid to exfoliating and moisturising, considering your skin is hidden away during cooler weather (the whole ‘out of mind, out of sight’).
Freshwater Farm have put together their top tips on how to create hydrated and glowing skin.
Tip #1 – Make your own luxury hydrating body oil
Body Oils are excellent for achieving a super hydrating experience for your skin. Because a body oil has a very similar composition to the natural oils found on your skin, the oil is readily absorbed helping your body to naturally repair and rebalance its moisture levels. Oils also have a fatty composition which means they are naturally rich with antioxidants and nutrients that will nourish your skin.
- Find yourself a small spray bottle or container that you can use to mix your oil.
- Add 100ml of your base oil of choice. For hydration, we recommend using either coconut or sweet almond oil, but you can even use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil if you don’t have those on hand.
- Next, for added benefits and a beautiful fragrance, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. You can use our Relaxing Lavender for a beautiful calming scent or Energising Peppermint to wake up your mind and body. Or maybe even a combination of both! If you want to test out your scent combos, apply a couple drops to a cotton ball and waft the scent under your nose. If you are spending some time in the sun, best to avoid citrus oils as they can react with sunlight.
- If you are looking to help heal any scars or blemishes on your skin, you can also add Rosehip or Argan Oil.
- Once all of your ingredients are in your bottle, put on the lid and SHAKE to combine.
- Now that your body oil is ready, we recommend applying to damp skin, fresh out the shower, to help your skin absorb all the hydrating benefits!
Tip #2 – Turn down the temp
Now that the weather is getting warmer, don’t be afraid to turn down the temperature in your shower! Showering for long periods of time with super hot water can really dry out your skin. Try to cut down your shower to 5 mins and be mindful of how hot your water is!
Tip #3 – Look for clean and natural ingredients
Using products that contain harsh chemicals and unnatural ingredients can really damage your skin’s protective barrier causing irritation and dryness. If you want to protect your skin, products with a naturally derived formula can help to restore and heal. Here are some great naturally derived ingredients that are excellent for hydration to look out for:
- Organic Shea Butter: We’re sure you have heard of Shea Butter before because it’s used in SO many lotions and moisturizers, but for a good reason! Shea Butter is a natural emollient, meaning it helps to fill out the dry areas of your skin with its natural oils for a smoother and softer feel. At Freshwater Farm ALL of our body bars are triple milled with Organic Shea Butter to ensure you get a luxury lather every time you use our soap bars! The Organic Shea Butter helps to keep your skin hydrated and nourished.
- Olive Oil: Olive Oil is an excellent ingredient for hydration as it helps to prevent water loss from the skin. It is also rich with many vitamins including A, D, E, and K which help to protect to protect your skin and improve its health. Using an olive oil-based soap or wash is the perfect way to ensure your skin receives all the hydrating benefits of olive oil without clogging your pores. All Freshwater Farm washes and body bars contain olive oil to make your skin shine.
- Glycerin: Glycerin acts as a moisturiser to help make your skin smoother and softer. Being a humectant, it hydrates your skin by helping to draw in moisture from the environment and retain it in the top layer of your skin. It works best when used with other hydrating ingredients like oils and plant butters that it can draw moisture from. You see this in all of our body bars where glycerin is also combined with olive oil and shea butter to give your skin the best experience.
Tip #4 – Try an Oatmeal Bath
If you really enjoy taking baths, try adding a few handfuls of colloidal oatmeal to your bath! Colloidal oatmeal has some wonderful anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal your skin. Blend the oatmeal into a powder and add into the water whilst the bath is running. Make sure the water is warm (not scalding hot) and do not stay in the bath longer than 15 mins to avoid drying out your skin. Be sure to use a moisturiser or body oil right after your bath to lock in the moisture!
Freshwater Farm is a family-owned, Australian brand creating high-quality hair and body care products made with natural and sustainable ingredients, many of which are sourced directly from their farm on the mid-north coast of NSW. From their farm, to your skin. Freshwater Farm's range of luxury hair and body care products are made with sustainable ingredients and ethically produced in Australia. Their products are never tested on animals and many of our products are vegan friendly. We are invested and involved in every aspect of the product from the soil to finished packaging with the same intention. Be natural, be ethical and treat the land with respect.
Freshwater Farm’s Saltbush + Wattle Seed Extract Rejuvenating Body Bar features in our winter ‘Restore’ retreat. To shop with Freshwater Farm, visit https://freshwaterfarm.com.au/shop/ and use discount code RYRESTORE for 20% off until 30/11/22. Free shipping over $25.