‘End of financial year’ marks so much more than a good sale (though we’re in full support of a treat-yourself moment). It’s important to each of us on a personal level: July 1 is the start of chapter two.
It marks the defined midpoint in the year; six months down, six months to go. Time may be flying, as it’s been packed with the highs and lows, and little moments that matter. You may have hit a big goal, or be slowly, steadily working towards one. You might be in a period of rest, with growth on pause as you focus on rejuvenation. You may be feeling a little out of touch, like you've fallen off balance for a moment. Wherever you may be, however this year may have looked, now is the time for a mid-year review.
The six-month mark gives us the opportunity to reflect and review where we are, where we’ve been, and where we’re going. It’s a personal stock-take, of sorts; a chance to consider what you’ve learned, redirect where it’s needed, and propel yourself forward on the basis of honest reflection.
Through life’s highs and lows, everything that happens will help you learn from experience, so you can set yourself on a path that speaks to your soul. But you can’t learn from life without taking an honest look at the big picture.
So, we’re here to help. Take a few minutes, grab a journal or notepad, and think about what the past six months have looked like for you — honestly, truly, authentically.
- Today, right now… are you where you thought you’d be?
- If not, what has gotten in the way of getting there?
- What feels right, and what feels ‘not quite’?
- Did you achieve what you set out to do?
- What did you achieve that wasn’t in your original plan?
- What took you by surprise? What has been an unexpected delight?
- In what ways do you feel you need to grow?
- What has occurred that makes you feel proud?
- Which direction do you feel pulled in? What’s on the other side? How can you get there?
Use everything you learn from moments of reflection to propel yourself forward; use a deeper understanding of yourself to improve and enhance what lies ahead. Even if it doesn’t always feel like it, you are in control of your life and your circumstances — so build your own little world that means the most.