Is there anything better than a dessert full of crunchy nuts, gooey caramel and decadent chocolate? We don't think so!
This rich caramel slice by Zoe Lyons of @wildblend was featured in our Winter Retreat Yourself Magazine and is the ideal solution when a sweet craving hits. It's raw, it's vegan, it's gluten-free and it's full of wholesome ingredients, making this slice the perfect crowd-pleaser.
Raw Vegan Caramel Slice
- 1 cup raw almonds (or walnuts)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup Medjool dates, soaked and pitted (approx. 12 dates)
- 1-2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp nut mylk (optional)
- 1 cup Medjool dates, soaked & pitted (approx. 12 dates)
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp almond butter (or tahini)
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lucuma powder
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- For the base, add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until a sticky cookie dough forms. Add one tablespoon of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Press base into a lined (20 x 20cm) slice pan until firmly packed.
- For the caramel add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Spread the caramel evenly onto the base and put aside into freezer to set.
- For the chocolate top, whisk together the ingredients until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate sauce evenly on top of the caramel layer. Make sure the caramel is set before you do this step!
- Pop it back into the freezer for two hours or overnight.
- Remove it from the pan, carefully slice into squares with a hot knife and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tip: Thaw for 20 minutes before cutting into slices or the chocolate layer will crack. For ease with cutting, run a really sharp knife under hot water before dividing up the slice. This also helps to slice the pieces clean and evenly. The thicker the top chocolate layer is the harder it will be to cut.
Zoe Lyons of @wildblend aims to inspire people to live an active, happy and healthy lifestyle, and to eat wild, unpackaged, natural foods to nourish their bodies and their souls.
Wildblend represents her strong connection to anything untamed, natural and wildish. She believes that all things in their natural state are wild and therefore good for us.
Her recipes are generally gluten, dairy and refined sugar free and focus on whole foods. Zoe believes in a holistic approach to health. You can’t just be healthy in one place—there has to be a balance in all aspects of your life. That’s why Wildblend’s motto is eat wild – train wild – live wild!
To check out more of Zoe's amazing recipes, head to her website: https://www.wildblend.co/