We're pretty sure that this incredible cake will absolutely blow your mind. It’s crazy how 5 simple ingredients can create such a delicious cake!
Makes: 1 cake
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup almond meal
2 Oranges (1 1/2 cups orange juice + zest)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
*Optional: 1 tsp vanilla
Whipped coconut frosting:
1 x 400g tin coconut cream
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- The night before, place the coconut cream in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C/ 350 degrees F. Line a 20cm cake tin with non-stick paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, almond meal, sugar and zest of one orange.
- Peel the oranges and blend them in a blender (I used my @vitamix ) until it becomes juice. Aim for 1 1/2 cups of juice.
- Pour the orange juice and olive oil into the flour mix. Gently fold to combine until no lumps of flour remain.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to fully cool before frosting.
- Make the frosting: open the coconut cream and scoop out the thick “cream” portion. Discard the coconut water part. Use an electric beater to whip the coconut cream, maple syrup & vanilla for 2 minutes until thick & fluffy. Be careful not to overwhip as this can cause the coconut cream to split.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake. *Optional decorate with toppings of choice! I used fresh strawberries and orange zest.
*Storage tips: in an airtight container at room temp for up to 2 days
Seriously one of the yummiest cakes ever. Enjoy!
This recipe is by Michelle Chen from Run2Food, one of our regular recipe contributors.
Michelle is a dentist, food blogger and recipe developer with passion for
health & fitness. She loves creating and sharing plant-based recipes that
are delicious and simple so anyone can make it! She wants to show that it
is easy to thrive on a plant-based diet and that is not at all restrictive.