Special guest, Alissa Geddes of ECO. Modern Essentials, takes us through using essential oils for detoxification.
Our bodies spend a considerable amount of energy and resources processing toxins. However, if we help our body by creating optimal conditions for it to function in, then our overall health should improve. One goal of detoxing is to avoid or help our bodies eliminate substances that do not contribute to our health and may in fact decrease our overall level of wellbeing.
For most of us, avoiding toxins altogether is very difficult. Some lifestyle changes we can make to reduce our toxin exposure include:
- Paying attention to our diet; trying to increase the amount of food that has been grown with minimal pesticides and decrease the amount of highly processed and unwholesome food.
- Taking care to use skin care and cleaning products that do not contain harmful chemicals.
- Examining our beliefs, behaviours and emotional states to see if any thought processes are ‘toxic’ to our overall health.
Creating a detox ritual will help you address any particular areas where you may need extra support. Before we start, think about the areas of your body that may need addressing to improve your body’s natural detox functions; Are your lungs congested or do you shallow breathe? Maybe your digestive system is sluggish, or you have symptoms of compromised digestion. How does your skin look? Is it dull or congested? Remember, a detox ritual is one that is easy and enjoyable, does not create stress, and can evolve and change if needed.
As we've learnt, detoxification occurs naturally and effortlessly through the breath. When we consciously control our breath and practice deep breathing we are supporting this channel of detoxification. As an added bonus, deep breathing activates the relaxation response and encourages digestion. Our diaphragm, at the base of the ribs, gently pushes into the upper portion of the large intestine which encourages the digestive movement.
ESSENTIAL OILS THAT ARE SUPPORTIVE FOR THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
Stimulating: Rosemary, Black Pepper, Eucalyptus, Sinus Clear Blend.
Soothing: Frankincense, Sandalwood.
Clearing: Rosemary, Peppermint, Lemon, Lime.
BREATHING DETOX RITUAL
- Begin by creating a blend of essential oils for this ritual. From this blend place 1 drop on your collar or apply a drop between your collar bones.
- Carve out five minutes from your schedule and find a quiet, favourite place to sit. You might choose a favourite ‘nook’ in the house, somewhere in the garden or at the beach.
- Gently breathe in and imagine the breath traveling all the way down into your legs. Then, notice how the breath naturally and effortlessly leaves your body as you breathe out.
- You may wish to imagine healing energies entering as you breathe in and toxic smoke exiting as you breathe out.
- Continue this practice for up to five minutes.
As you finish, take a moment to notice how you feel or any thoughts that float their way up to the surface.
As the wise father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, suggested: “The way to good health is to have an aromatic bath and a scented massage everyday”. A warm bath or shower can help ease tired and sore muscles, improve circulation, add warmth to a cold digestive system, and provide a setting for some quiet space. All these benefits aid in the body’s own detoxification processes.
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR A DETOX BATHING RITUAL
Toning/Balancing: Geranium, Clary Sage.
Calming: Lavender, Frankincense, Marjoram.
Stimulating: Rosemary, Black Pepper, May Chang.
BATH DETOX RITUAL
- Find time once a week to indulge in a healing and detoxifying bath.
- Before you bathe you may exfoliate your skin and stimulate the lymphatic system with a full body dry brushing.
- If your face could use some nurturing, choose a face mask to apply while you are soaking.
- Add up to 8 drops of essential oil to some honey or milk then add to a full, warm bath.
- Enjoy a beautiful and quiet aromatic bath for around twenty minutes.
MASSAGE AND MOVEMENT
Most health care practitioners recommend at least thirty minutes of movement daily. Benefits include; improvement in mild anxiety and depression, weight management, and improved heart health. Movement encourages lymphatic circulation within the body which will help move toxins out of the body.
ESSENTIAL OILS TO SUPPORT THE BODY
Warming: For circulation, tissue repair, stiff joints. Ginger, Black Pepper, Rosemary. Massage into sore muscles and joints in a circular motion.
Digestion: For sluggish digestion, supports the liver and kidneys. Fennel, Ginger, Lemon, Peppermint, Digest Blend. Apply to abdomen in a clockwise circular motion.
Cellulite Blend: Target areas of concern; tummy thighs, gluteals, upper arms. Massage cellulite blend into target areas using a brisk, firm motion.
- Create a massage blend that will support you by adding 15 drops of essential oil to 30ml of carrier oil and applying as advised above.
- Commit to thirty minutes of physical activity.
- Walk, walking group, swimming, water aerobics, yoga, Tai Chi, Gardening, stretching class or dance it out.
Try to engage in activities that are enjoyable and keep it fun, change activities regularly and try to do them with a group. Remember the purpose behind massage and movement is to help your body detoxify and to improve your overall health.
A healthy mind and body can be the backbone for our loved ones, our community and the earth.
You can check out ECO. Modern Essentials full range of oil blends on ECO. Modern Essentials and follow them on Instagram or Facebook @ecomodernessentials for more ideas and tips on using essential oils. They've also shared an exclusive discount code with the RY community: RYSPRING for 15% off online until 30/11/2020.